EU Proposed Future New Rules
In view of the growing numbers of gig workers, the EU has proposed new rules (Directive on transparent and predictable working conditions in the EU).
These would mean gig workers having the same minimum rights as workers – including:
- 6 month limit on any probationary period
- the right to take another job with a different employer in parallel
- to know reasonably in advance when work will take place
- to ask for a more secure job and receive a written reply from the employer
- to receive mandatory training cost-free
The proposed new rules are expected to become law in all EU member states in 2019 – however if we leave the EU it is unclear whether UK companies will have to comply.